Thread: Drinking
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by skipper123 View Post
Can u go but have a non alcoholic margarita? I’m not sure if that’s a great idea but if u have to get out of the house find a good na drink.
I could do that.

I also have friends that support my sobriety unconditionally and I've been sober almost 15 months.

I was in rehab at 10 days. If I hadn't been in rehab and I'd put myself in that situation, I have little doubt that I would have caved.

Everyone needs to find their comfort zone for socializing around alcohol. And it changes over time. What I could do at 30 days was FAR less restrictive than at 60, 90, 120, 6 months, a year.

I also made the decision that drinking was off the table. Has the OP?

You can celebrate without drinking or even being in a situation with people who don't drink. My experience was not even to think about it until I'd finished with my IOP at 5 months sober. I'd learned techniques to manage cravings by that point as well, and had some experiences where the cravings were pretty potent. I got through it.

I can only give my own experience. That's what worked for me. If you really want to stop, think about what you're doing.

Do you REALLY value your sobriety? Do you REALLY want to stop drinking for good?