Old 08-02-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Recovery is not reliant on a rock bottom, it is reliant on admitting you are powerless over alcohol and surrender, on a good strong recovery plan, on reaching out to other humans when you are struggling. Recovery is reliant on the person wanting it enough and working their recovery plan to the letter, no excuses, no procrastination! xx
This.

There was a rehab counsellor that I could not STAND. A disbarred lawyer working on reentering his profession, he was arrogant, entitled, and was constantly hinting that he was slumming by being a rehab counselor, and was only doing it because he'd lost his license as an attorney.

His meetings were all about structure in recovery, making your plan, and sticking to it. Certain professions (nursing, doctors, lawyers) have very specific programs that must be followed to regain and maintain your professional license once you've been censured for substance abuse. They are very controlled, involve a ton of accountability in the form of random testing, specific as hell and have definitive timelines and milestones.

They also have a VERY high success rate.

So his group was all about forming a very specific and accountable recovery plan. It was the most practically useful meeting with regards to my continued sobriety. I thanked that a-hole daily for months after!