View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Plenny

Hey everyone, Trying some multi quotes here... 5 years later and I'm finally trying to use some of the tools to help me post better.

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
When in doubt, do nothing.
Suze, thanks for reminding me of this. I have a super hard time not being reactionary. Even over-reactionary, and I become consumed with anxiety and sometimes I go into a full blown episode. Today I didn't go that far but I did not do nothing. I do think that if I had tried that things might have turned out better. It is going to become my anthem for the next little while. If anything, I can use all of these experiences to try to get better at handling things. That is what I want out of my sobriety.

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal2 View Post
It took me so much energy to try and get him out of his little shell and whenever I managed to it made me so happy to see him thrive and to see him happy and relaxed.
I went to a new meeting tonight, and there were a bunch of old timers there. We were a small meeting (due to our own no air conditioning issues), so us newbies got a lot of attention. I finally got to express my situation from today, and afterwards got to talk to some of them about it and they just kept telling me to take care of myself first. Because they could tell how occupied my thoughts are with my SO and that it takes away from my own healing. Something about your post did make me want to tell you the same things they told me. And it is in combination I think with what Suze was telling me too, sort of like if we are so frustrated that something just isn't working, just do nothing. Ha. Just do nothing and focus on ourselves maybe.... hahaha I don't know if I'm bridging the thoughts clearly but I see a correlation. Not that I'm in any position to give advice. But I wanted to reach out in solidarity

Also yikes about your injection! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that!

Originally Posted by goodbyeevan View Post
She has a white sandy beach with a dingy tied to a stump with a thick rope, an island and a waterfall.... I have a few places in my mind I just need to take the time to practice.
I always had a place when I was trying to escape anxiety, I used it instinctively when I was waking up so hung over with my nerves ringing, and when I was worried or fearful at night, and I should learn to use it when I'm awake to cope. I am laying down on my back in a shallow river or stream, on rocks, in a little divet that keeps me in place and the perfectly clear cool water runs around me. I have some other weird ones that come to me when I'm in yoga or meditating (when I can wrangle myself to do it), but I think that is so helpful...
Also I think you are so lucky to have a grandmother who also got sober. That is so cool to have someone in your family of another generation to talk to.

JO, I was trying to quote you as well, I lost it somehow, but on this subject of anxiety, I just want to wish you luck in soothing your daughter, I hope that having an empathetic mother like you will help her see that she is not alone and not a freak and that these feelings will pass, even if they seem all consuming. And, like Suze says, it will be ok. Another thing to remember for us all. Something else along those lines that I have probably quoted in here before, from a source unknown to me, but it has been helping me so much: "Feelings Are Visitors"

I'll be lurking all night. Can't believe I got through such an attack today without drinking. I do feel actually very proud of myself.