View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Willow00

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
May I share?

Gonna sound silly....but moving here was a massive culture shock. Not good for me.....well, very good for my AV who started drooling....so I have found some interesting ways to acclimate and tell my devil to go the heck AWAY.....the accents were so strange, the ads.....I don't do TV....so I decided to change it up and I subscribed to YouTube TV for a month....I am listening to US stuff and starting to enjoy it.....starting to not feel like a Martian here....

I say this because this has been a HUGE trigger for me. Feeling different. Feeling alone. Feeling other than....sound familiar? So I fixed it. I am an Aussie American now....and I claim it.....my AV can go jump in the lake.

Love you Willow...thank you for being my friend. ♥♥
Thanks for sharing and thanks for being my friend too Venuscat love you ❤️
What you said, being “other than “ is key. I think we often feel like we’re different or don’t fit in. I know I certainly do! Moving to the states would have been HUGE! I’ll bet the AV was so excited about so many excuses to drink... A testament to your amazingness and your strength that you didn’t give in to it! And finding ways to feel part of your surroundings and included is really important ❤️❤️
On the flip side I think we also have to be a bit careful about what we choose to fit in with.... just as an example for me at the moment, I’m a fair bit older than most of my fellow uni students many of which want to go to the uni club beer garden after class and have drinks, which is just too much temptation for me right now.... so I’m trying to fit in with them in other ways but I only choose to fit in with them on the compassion and teamwork level without engaging in their social life