View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Banjoist

Alcohol use disorder (medical term for alcoholism if I’m not mistaken) is progressive in nature. Be thankful that you noticed it in yourself before it becomes more than semantics.

I drank 2 drinks a night, both of which had 2-3 shots in them. I didn’t go to bed a staggering drunk, nor did I ever abuse my family. I did, however, struggle to not have those drinks because I enjoyed them too much.

Right now in my house I have a bottle of rum, a 12-pack of assorted microbrews, and a bottle of very expensive small batch tequila. I’m drinking none of them and yet I know my affinity for the buzz isn’t healthy. Most people don’t think of alcohol when they “take days off.” In fact, they don’t “take days off” from drinking any more than they’d take days off from eating tacos.

Alcohol use disorder isn’t an official label, but it is important to figure out what your relationship with drinking is...it’s a hard ride to rock bottom, and when it comes you’re not thankful that you hit it until you have a chance to start climbing again. I pray you never get there. It’s always best (and less painful) to learn from others’ mistakes.

Good luck in your journey and I hope you stay a while.