Old 07-26-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
tekink

When I was first sobering up I sometimes felt that way. My wife drinks but she doesn't drink the way I do. Really she only wanted me to stop falling over in public but that was a request I knew I could not guarantee. When I first started to quit I hadn't yet told her about the liver issues I was currently discovering with the dr. I did want to quit deep down inside also.

I think the pain of seeing me suffering would often kick in her nurturing side, she felt bad. I remember the first time I made it over 60 days, on day 69 I said "F-it" and she went and grabbed a $200 bottle of pinot that was in our collection. A couple months later I relapsed harder and it lasted with about a month of heavy drinking , there was a time she told me I was more fun when I was drinking. That one I took too heart a little more than I should have. I asked her about it later and she was just trying to make me not feel bad about the relapse.

Now days she knows better than that and there have been a couple times where I did pour a glass of wine only to throw it out where she was alarmed and checked to make sure I didn't drink it.

Sometimes that nurturing side can result in actions that would seen to go against both of your best interests.

There were times I thought she was sabotaging me but now that I can actually think clearly without the fog of early sobriety and moodiness that she was just trying to comfort me the only ways she knew how at the time.