Thread: New to this!
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

" If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer."

"The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink."

Those are a couple of excerpts from the book Alcoholics Annymous. I don't know where you are on the matter of choice. If you still have the power to choose, then all you have to do is exercise it in the right way. Just don't drink.

If you are like me, one who lost the power of choice and never got it back, then it becomes a matter of finding the power to live well without the need to drink at all. Usually that has to be a power greater than ourselves, obviously, because our own power is not adequate.

I found the power through the AA program. AA makes many promises, but no where is it promised I will get the power of choice back. Instead it promises that the problem will be removed, I will be placed in a position of neutrality, safe and protected. As the problem has been removed the whole concept of choice becomes redundant. Never once in 38 years of sobriety have I had to decide whether to drink or not. It has become a total non-issue.