Thread: New to this!
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
rustygolf

I'm on day 12. I've been there, and apart from the physical ups and downs of binge drinking, the mental struggle of telling myself I need to make a change and then failing to follow through with it is exhausting. I just don't want to be under the thumb of alcohol anymore -- sounds like you might be in a similar spot.

I've simply been telling people that I'm not drinking, and that diffuses it (and there is some affirming effect of stating that out loud to other people that then keeps me from drinking at whatever event I'm at). It sounds simple, and leading up to that point there is self-doubt and the voice of maybe I should make an exception, but I just keep focused one decision at a time.

If people ask why, I just say I'm on a cleanse/30-day diet that involves not drinking -- which just happens to be true since I'm also doing a whole-30 like diet with my wife for 30d, but it avoids any big discussion. I have told my wife, who is supportive, so I have some personal accountability to her now.

And I've been praying a lot, checking in here, and reminding myself of the person I want to be for all the reasons you mentioned.