Thread: New to this!
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
eyes99

I hate the “just don’t drink” responses. Ultimately, they end up being true, but when I first found this site I remember thinking, “well if I could do that, I wouldn’t be here!”

The first step is admitting that you have a problem. Like really admitting it. And if you have a problem, that means that you need help.

In the beginning, I read every alcoholism memoir that I could find. I started with ones written by women because I could relate better, then I moved on to other kinds. I looked for the similarities between me and the stories, not the differences.

I also checked out AA. I really enjoy it today, but it took a while to let my guard down and stop trying to prove to myself that I was better than all those drunks in there. Reading the stories in the big book helped too. You can download that and read with no one the wiser.

I got a therapist and was honest about my drinking. We started exploring what it was doing for me, why I did it, and what the consequences were of my choices. That really helped with the denial.

I came here every day, multiple times a day. I read the stories in the section where people tell about their drinking history and recovery.

And then...I just didn’t drink.

Good luck on your journey!!!