View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 02:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I have experienced a lot of things that might be called triggers, really good ones, if you believe in that sort of thing. In reality they are just part of life, events that will happen to all of us. They have no bearing on whether I will stay sober or not. They are external random events, where as alcoholism is an internal condition.

Bereavement, loss of job, loss of friend, being told off at work, feeling stupid in a social setting, being angry about something, being embarrased or afraid, and on and on. None of that has made me even think about drinking. Though much of it has been used as an excuse in the past.

I suppose you might say that trigger is a euphemism for life, and my reaction to life was to drink. My solution was alcohol. So when something external occurred or didn’t occur, drinking was the obvious thing to do.

I no longer have an alcoholic mind. I have another solution to life. I have found the power to live successfully in the world, so when something occurs that might be a good excuse for a drink, I don’t consider drinking. I look first at other options.

There is a classic story in the big book about a guy who relapsed. He is describing the circumstances just prior. “It was the end of a perfect day, not a cloud on the horizon” so what did he do? He got drunk. Why, because he was alcoholic, had not taken the action required to recover, and so he had no defense against the first drink.