View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
venuscat

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
I have to say I'm getting worried about Marley (our dog in my avatar)

We have a 3 year old English Setter, Marley.
We purchased him as an 8 week old puppy so he has been with us since the start.

A few months ago he snapped at my little nephew, snapped at his face and knocked off his glasses. I let it slide. Yesterday our neighbors were over with their 5 and 8 year old boys. Once again our dog showed his teeth and snapped at the 8 year old boy.

We are honestly very worried.

We leave Marley run free at home all day everyday.
We live in the coutryside so loads of space around the house.
He wears a petsafe collar to prevent him from being tempted to leave.
He is very excitable and very physical. He never stops running.
My daughter plays freely with the dog.

He has never showed any kind of aggressive behavior towards us nor my daughter, never. He seems to dislike other people’s children. I underline he was not being provoked. They just wanted to pet him and kindly, gently.
Once again, we are honestly very worried.

Probably time for professional help.
Sorry I missed this love.

Yes, please get professional help.....don't laugh, there are pet psychologists. Professional vets with additional training.....I think it's very fixable and he needs to be desensitised over something......a lot can happen to them before they are 8 weeks old. Believe you me, I know....and I have a permanent big scar on my calf where Venus bit me through to the bone when she was going for a puppy. It wasn't her fault....she was badly abused before I got her (6 weeks).

It may be a smell....a particular scent that frightens him, or something else....but I believe it's possible for them to get over this.

So much love to you and Marley. xx