Old 07-16-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
VigilanceNow

Hi Ernest,

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this very difficult situation. My first reaction is how lucky your roommate is that you have such a patient sense of understanding regarding his current situation; many people would just bail and either move out or find a way to have him kicked out.

That said, I think you know that a person needs to decide on their own if they're ready for real recovery. I have never done opiates, but I definitely know about the progressive disease of alcoholism and the destruction it causes. It sounds like he is in that misguided "self-preservation" hole that addicts dig for themselves, in which they use drugs and/or alcohol to block out the bad things happening around them. All sense of cause and effect is blurred, and logic is totally out of sight.

I think you need to think of yourself first, particularly as you are in recovery yourself. This is your roommate, so you two share a space; i.e. this is someone that you need to be able to trust and count on. Clearly right now is not the right time to have a conversation, as you said he is currently high on something, but I think you need to lay down the law in terms of your living situation.

Is he a good friend or basically just a roommate? If he is willing to seek professional help, you might be able to continue living with him. Otherwise, I would tell him that you will not under any circumstances live with someone who is active in addiction. It's not safe for you or anyone who enters your home.

What do you know (if anything) about his past recovery attempts? Perhaps there is someone who can enter the scene to assist with this? (Like a sponsor, rehab friend who stayed sober, something like that...)