Old 07-12-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Maybe you don't have to accept that you're capable of ANYTHING when drunk.

How about just accepting that when you start drinking it affects your life negatively. You can maybe make a lit of the ways alcohol has affected various areas of your life. For example....

Relationships (mine would be, dumping out positive relationship because they interfered with drinking, choosing people who were not good for me because they supported my drinking lifestyle, being mean and cruel when drunk, being selfish and miserable to be around when sober, being fearful and paranoid regarding my friends, treating people I care about badly. I was convinced while in active alcoholism that I drank because people were so awful to me, but when I stopped drinking I started to see things a little differently.

Financial I ended up with so many unpaid bills, fear around money, living on the headline when (without alcohol) I could be comfortable and secure, not taking responsibility and getting several court threats which was scary and depressing, losing a house I owned and not even really caring because the house I then rented was nearer to my booze supply. It felt like everything was hopeless financially, and I kidded myself that my finances MADE me drink. Once I got sober the finances gradually sorted themselves out.

Career Left several good jobs because I knew I was peeingbthem off and it would be a matter of time before they pulled me up, shoddy work, being unprepared mentally and physically to do my work thoroughly and with integrity, being an arse to co-workers because living in active alcoholism made me fearful and miserable to be around when sober. Again, I thought my career MADE me drink. When I stopped drinking it got much better.

Home My house (whichever one I lived in at any time) turned into a chaotic filthy hovel. (If you lived in a house like that, you'd drink too! Hahaha. You spotting a pattern yet?)

Liberty Risked arrest a number of times (that luck would've run out eventually. Loss of integrity and fredom to be the person I felt I should be because I was controlled by my alcoholic thinking. When in active alcoholism I really did thing that drinking was my one true little bit of fredom, but ohhh what a big fat liar alcohol is.

BB