View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

Originally Posted by Free39 View Post
How long have you been sober now Grundghead? I am an every day drinker as well for the last two-three months. Thankfully, I haven't gotten to the point where I have to drink during the day, yet.
5 years this past April. I was an every day drinker for many years, but over the last couple of years I progressed to drinking all day, mainly because I started waking up with withdrawals. I was what I would call a maintenance drinker those last couple of years, drinking mainly to function and keep the withdrawals away as I wasn't really catching a buzz any longer.

My primary care physician set me up with a detox plan and referred me to outpatient treatment, which consisted of weekly one on one counseling and monthly appointments with a psychiatrist. I started going back to AA (this wasn't my first rodeo) and got serious with it this time. I found a sponsor within a couple weeks of returning and within 4 months he had taken me through the steps for the first time. That was the "game changer" for me.