Old 07-06-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Glenjo99

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Your friend is an alcoholic/addict who has just relapsed, attempted suicide (or so he said) is either in denial about his sexuality or is totally confused and is currently in a rehab facility.

Those are the facts.

Is this the person you want as a romantic partner?

I am not saying he is not "worthy" or at the root of it is not a good person, I'm sure he is or you wouldn't be around him at all probably. He must have good attributes.

Thing is, he is an addict and he is going through a very trying time. While an apology would be nice I wouldn't be focusing on that at all. He is attempting (I hope) to pull his life together. Think about that for a minute. How hard is that?

With all that perhaps he doesn't have the emotional capacity to even consider you right now. In fact his actions during your visit would indicate just that.

Please know I don't mean to be harsh but it's important to look at these facts I think.

You don't mention the relationship before the holiday. Alcohol, cocaine, what is his history, how long was he "sober"? Has he been abusive and erratic before? You don't live in the same area, you wonder if he planned this binge. Realistically you don't even know if he was sober before you arrived.
He was sober since March, he went to Glasgow for a weekend to visit his godparents and went on a bender. I know he was sober in the months before as he would ring me every day on video chat from his parents house, they wouldn't tolerate him drinking. Yes last year around autumn time he was the same, went on binges of cocaine and alcohol and saw the abuse. He recalls nothing afterwards. In between then when sober, he doesn't even crave drink or drugs he does so we'll. I hear what your saying about his emotional capacity I really do, but it hard to get across how close we were. Like I said, rang me few times a day, messaged me and confided in me more than anyone, could be his real self with me. I know he is trying to pull his life together again now, my thing is, if he can be online texting other people, why not a simple text to me, even to say, I'm doing ok, will be in touch when out, anything really!