View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 12:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don W

Shutterbug, Thanks for pointing out that one needs to consult a professional when dealing with these symptoms. A physical ailment must be eliminated. Like fuster mentioned, there was a time that each time I read symptoms I'd start to think I had that also. I think this is why I feel it is VERY important to be upfront and honest with your doctor. Working in the medical field, I can tell you they are just cracking the surface of the mind/brain. So many of these mental issues can mimick each other. A good example is my sister. For years she was treated as a manic depresive. The problem was she hid her drinking from the doctors. Once she recieved treatment for alcoholism the symptoms disappeared. I met a person one time that had spent years in Bridgewater, Mass. Mental Institue. One he was there and away from alcohol his mental issues disappeared. The problem being, it took him almost 2 years to get released. Today, he has gone to college and is a professor at one of the local universities. When alcohol has been involved, a physical check up is important. Simply removing the alcohol won't cure some things. I say this because many of us have self medicated ourselves with alcohol.