View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SaturatedSeize

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post

You say you are reaping yours....why isn't that sufficient?
I can obviously only speak for myself but regarding this question about what is "sufficient" or not, the good times I had while drinking is always appealing and I had a lot of joy during these times. Not EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I drank ended in a bad night. That is of course perspective because it could be argued that at any point of putting poison in my body is a bad time, however for me, and from a social aspect, I enjoyed a lot of nights out drinking.

I've struggled with my relapses because of my underlying urges to re-connect socially in ways I struggle with while sober. It's a balancing act because in ways, drinking alcohol filled a different "need" as I haven't learned how to enjoy all facets of life yet, sober.

As for my one moment that brought me to sobriety, it was hurting people I cared about, and realizing it isn't EVERYBODY else that is the problem, it was me, and always has been me. Swallowing my pride and trying to be a better person because I ruined another relationship. I could be alone my whole life, drunk and miserable, or I could be sober, and have a family, and stop hurting everybody I care about.