View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
mirrorball

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
All the times that I quit temporarily I did it because I wanted to avoid the bad things that were happening from getting high.

When I eventually quit for good it was because I was finally willing to give up forever that deep tsunami of pleasure that I had grown so accustomed to.

I learned that pain and negative experiences are forgotten faster than pleasurable positive ones. So, knowing I would forget the bad feeling and still remember the good feelings, it was important for me to Recognize from the moment I made my pledge of permanent abstinence that I was giving up FOREVER that assault of chemically enhanced, ecstatic stupidity that I had grown to love over more than ten years.

So, you’re right. ALL the negative/bad thoughts and feelings about quitting for good are IT, your AV.

Tell us now. What are the GOOD thoughts/feelings you have when you realize your addiction can be OVER today.
That's where I'm at.. I realise I have to say goodbye to the high, and I didn't quite realise what a wrench that would be. It's a trade though.. I am giving up the deep pleasure of the high, so that I don't have to feel the horrible lows or have the horrible consequences anymore ( namely, impact on relationships, health, wealth, feeling like a scumbag after I've used, feeling like all my energy has gone, getting sick etc)

So.. I guess my good feelings are basically a sense of relief that I won't have those horrible consequences any more. That I can beat this thing that owned me for so long... it's horrible feeling owned by an addiction, you don't feel like a free person. Plus relief that I got out in time before any really bad consequences. I mean, I've probably spent several thousand a year on this stuff but I've never lost my job, driving licence, family etc... So I'm very lucky in that sense given how long I've been using this stuff. A couple of times I thought I may OD and I've long feared death... so relief at making it out alive I guess.