View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SolidKarma

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
I'll be direct and get straight to the point SolidKarma. I was in and out of AA for over 20 years, put together long stretches of sober time, but I kept relapsing until I actually worked the steps. The fellowship (meetings) are an important part of AA but they never kept me sober, especially when I faced difficult times in my life. The fellowship is there to compliment the program...to lend support in the beginning and as an avenue to be of service to other alcoholics once we have recovered ourselves. The 12 steps is the actual program of recovery that produces lasting sobriety.

Has your sponsor encouraged you to work the steps? If so now is the time to get started on them. If he hasn't then you need to find a sponsor that will.

As far as detox, I had no medical insurance when I got sober in 2013. I made an appointment with my GP (family doctor) and came clean about how bad my drinking was and my desire to get sober. He knew I didn't have insurance and set up a home detox plan. Not sure if that's an option for you but it worked for me. It required I that I be rigorously honest with him and strictly follow his instructions.
You are a genius! I'm actually on my way to my primary care right now to see if he can help me with an at home detox plan.

I'll update you guys!