Thread: Relapse Why?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Why would anyone say something like that unless there is more to this than you are telling us. It is quite common that a sponsor, for example, will see someone making a mistake they have seen before, perhaps a mistake they made themselves, and they may share that when they did or didn't do whatever it was, i.e. ignored a suggestion, they got drunk. The sponsor might say "I felt like that too, and when I tried it, it didn't work out too well". Gently sharing experience.

A therapist doesn't have that option. They are the expert in whatever their therapy is. They may or may not have personal experience, but they will be trained, so they will likely be more direct and say if you don't or won't fallow the plan, you will probably relapse.

Both sponsor and therapist have probably seen whatever is the issue many times before. The message seems to be around the concern that you still don't have a grasp of how deadly serious your situation is and are therefore showing reservations about the treatment model.

Just a wild guess.

AA experience is that relapse is not necessary but sometimes, as in my case, it is the only way to remove the reservations.