View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
saoutchik
saoutchik

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
A bus from here is fine.
This art school is located ..well a short descriptor here..Adelaide was designed (by Col W Light) to be about a mile square- with a greenbelt of park lands around the outer edge..about half a mile wide. Then the older established 'burbs...
In an area which is now VERY high costing real estate- dwells the site of the original loony asylum )Glenside). When I was a kid- it still had a very high stone wall around it's site- topped with broken glass. With the modern focus of funding cuts and 'reassimilating' those with mental health issues into the community, most of it fell into a state of disperpair. The state knocked most of it down and sold off the land. The arts school uses several of the original loony buildings...modernised.
Very surreal- I worked at the loony bin for a few years...and later was in the lock down detox ward- as a patient. I was interviewed in one of the old dining rooms..where all cutlery was counted b4 and after meals. Some things in life do seem to go in 3's...and it marks the full circle of fate (coincedence- but what the hey, I am being philosomophical).
I would not be doing this study if I had not built up enough resistance to last 5 hours thru gym work and stuff (still work on this), and getting enough cognitive ability back by tedious hours of brain thinkin' exercises, at riding a bike in crap weather in peak hour for months to go to GP appts and the like- to get a medical ok..that got me my license, that got me my car, because I saved like Scrooge to afford one..etc. Every one being another rung on that upward ladder and each hard work. All supported by this place (SR).

Congratulations PhoenixJ, that is genuinely inspirational, good luck!