View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
MidnightBlue
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, WeaberBird.

Sorry you are struggling right now.

Just to address some of your points quickly.

The weight around midsection right now is mostly water. Don't freak out about this. Carbs tend to hold a lot of water, and since the binge usually a hell load of carbs, there is a lot of water to retain.

Skipping breakfast is not the best idea. I hear you about being afraid to start eating but starvation periods actually reinforce addiction.

Yes, it's like tunnel because the logical-thinking brain is pretty much shut down at the moment. It is thrown out of game and the reward mechanism runs the show.

Yes, the best way is to plan your nutrition, activities, know your triggers, etc. You quit alcohol, you know the drill.

About frustration of facing another addiction after quitting alcohol.

Yes and no.

On one hand, the food addiction is the toughest to get rid of because you can't cut food altogether and danger of food addiction is still very much overlooked in society. We are bombarded with all sort of ads promoting plain junk. Since childhood we associate achievements with sweet rewards.

It just can't be that bad, is it?

Just like quitting alcohol requires gradual rebuilding of lifestyle, the same goes for developing healthy eating habits.

On the other hand I knew that if I managed to un-learn wine-related myths about what is "normal" and what is not, I can do the same with food.

I can think for myself. I can research, explore, experiment. I can see straight.

Beating food addiction requires time, efforts and a lot of heart to protect your values and health.

But it is so worth it. Nothing feels better like reclaiming your own life.

Stay strong.

P.S. I have INSANE sugar cravings. What was I thinking?