View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TheSoberDude

Someone who drinks every day and can’t control it is an alcoholic. That’s clearly substance abuse, and I was doing the same thing! Job and financial status do not matter either. There are doctors, lawyers, cops, nurses, and billionaires who are alcoholics. There is a common misconception that the lives of alcoholics are completely unmanageable. Certainly, people can lose their jobs, homes, family, and pile up the health bills. But, it doesn’t take any of the above factors for someone to be an alcoholic. I managed to keep a great job, maintain a 3.8 GPA in college, and paid all my bills on time. Yet, I was drinking everyday, couldn’t stop, and it began to impact my health and personal life.

Your friend certainly sounds like she may need some support, encouragement, and help. But, this will have to be up to her. She has to come to the conclusion that she has a problem, and wants to do something about it. The fact that she jokes about being an alcoholic, clearly portrays that she is thinking exactly that.

I hope she can reflect on her behavior and take a step toward sobriety.

Thanks for the post.