View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
theNAway
Livin' the NA WAY

When my wife and I got married a little over 11 years ago, I met her Mom and took her to San Fransisco to visit us in California. This was to get her out of Ohio, for the first time in her life. She ended up having her sister shoot her with demerol/morphine - cause I was stressing her out. (her excuse) she rolled over and stared me dead in the eye, like ha ha, you aren't going to marry my daughter. (years later her sister confessed that my wifes Mom did this because I was taking her away to a "better" life)
She has used since then. I started a few years later. Then I had her visit in Tokyo while we were there. She was pissed I wouldn't share and made the visit hell. (I couldn't or my wife would have killed me)
Well then I went into recovery. We have visited since. She knows what I have, and what it can offer her if she wants it. My brother in law is also an addict, and WANTS recovery, and has abstained from drugs, but doesn't hit meetings due to his whole family thing. So I sent him a Basic Text, and other goodies, and talk to him about the program. Hopefully he will hit a meeting despite his family, only time will tell. As long as he doesn't pick up.
Her whole family is on drugs, and has been all of their life. They don't know any different.
The only thing I can do is show them that recovery is possible.
The best way I have found to teach someone, so far, is lead the way as a good example.
I hope they find recovery, and you stick with it,
Chad H.