View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Lakegirl...like I said....the fondest desire of every alcoholic is to be able to drink again, like non-alcoholics do.....The idea of never being able to do that, at some point...is unthinkable to an alcoholic...(refer to my other post to you...lol).
The alcoholic "voice" is there in the back of his mind.....(explained in the two resources that I recommended to you)….
He is very early on in the recovery process...and, you state that he has tapered off a bit with his AA connection....
If an alcoholic has to choose between the family and the alcohol....even though they might love the family....the compulsion to drink is so very powerful....
If you read the thousands of stories on this forum you will see how often that happens....
AA is full of those who lost jobs, homes, families, health, etc...before they were able to commit to genuine recovery....
He probably can't say "goodby" forever to his old friend...the thing that helps him cope with the most uncomfortable feelings....
It is not against you....it is about his disease....this is what alcoholics do...they drink alcohol to cope with being alive....
Please read the articles by Floyd P. Garrett....that explains it sooo much better!

I hate to be the bearer of such grim reality to you...I really do....but, I see no other way....I think it would be wrong to allow you to put your head in the sand concerning the true reality of dealing with alcoholism....
He is so early on...and, he still has so much to learn...and, you will not be the one to be able to teach him.....