View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by Lakegirl111 View Post
The counselor suggested that while I could just NOT tell my husband about this plan, it would be better to discuss it with him while he is sober. Transparency is good, I get that. If he has input into what should happen in a contingency plan, all the better since he will know ahead of time what will happen if he drinks.
I completely agree with SparkleKitty here. It is not your responsibility to worry about his reaction to you packing up the kids and going to your parents, if he should actually start drinking again.

The therapist is not his therapist as well I take it? Therefore he/she should not be advising what HE should be doing, in my opinion or second-guessing what his reaction may or may not be to any given situation.

While people with PTSD probably have many of the same triggers and reactions, they are not robots and each person's situation must be looked at individually. Would you like your situation to be addressed by a counsellor that only knows your Husband's views?

All that said, personally I would forget all about having him tell your parents about the contingency plan. Forcing a grown man to go to your parents to tell them what will happen if he screws up is - just weird in my opinion.