View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 02:30 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Sunflowerlife

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh View Post
I've always said that food issues are way more complicated than addiction to drugs and alcohol because, as you said, we all have to eat; we can't just give it up like smoking or drinking. Well, we could, but then we'd like, die and stuff...

I'm diabetic, and spent my first sober year eating like I'd never heard of diabetes; when I finally checked my blood sugar and had labs done in April, they were grotesquely and dangerously high (well, duh!) and I got scared straight, begged my MD to put off prescribing insulin injections because I'd seen the light and was a changed man, and I was quite serious! The day I finally checked my glucose, I threw away PopTarts, frozen hash browns, macaroni, totally purged my food supply. Living alone, it's pretty easy to simply ban certain foods from my home...

...and within a week, I no longer craved the sugar; I still crave potatoes and noodles, but I walk past cookies and donuts with barely a second glance. I wish it had worked that way with booze, I'd have gotten sober thirty years ago!

I think us alkies have some pretty twisted metabolism; it's no damn wonder we have food issues!

Sugar is evil, man...potatoes are just...rude, maybe? At any rate, I'm avoiding both of them, and only really missing one of them.
Well that is really kinda awesome Arp! You knew what you had to do and you did it- I think it's harder for me because I don't have any physical evidence that I am doing harm other than how awful/moody I feel and you would think that is enough but it's just not. Of course I have no idea what I've done to my gut although I don't seem to have issues with digestion I often wonder how I have put my poor stomach/colon through so much over the years. I know sugar can greatly affect gut flora and I do have skin issues but was told this was due to topical allergies. I do wonder if any of it is linked to my gut. I do have massively high blood sugar the day after a binge but my dad, a physician, says that is normal (I didn't tell him the binging part, just that I had eaten sugar.) Like diabetes level. When I go back to eating low carb/high fat- it drops back down to 95-100 (dawn effect, I still have high bs in the morning.)

Potatoes are rude...I love that! And yes, our sugar sensitivities are totally linked to our bodies' inability to process sugar the same way as others. Afterall alcohol is sugar- bread turns into sugar and cake is well...sugar! Same brain, same problem.

You are evidence that if we want something we can do it. You inspire me. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.