View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Originally Posted by lrish View Post
Yesterday’s AA meeting had me in tears all day yesterday- dunno if it’s the right fit for me but I will try again

Thing is I’m so emotionally hungover today so taking the day off to play computer games lol - this is the first weekend, the day I’ve not worked since I quit drinking a month ago - and maybe that’s a good thing, I def need the rest - feel wrung out today, time for self care
I think admitting out loud to other people who are ready to listen is a really powerful experience. Plus in my first meetings I had no boundaries at all due to alcohol. Everything someone said I took personally and I was still in the mode of worrying what people thought about me.

The emotional hangover goes away with sober time. I was so raw emotionally in that first month. I kept saying I wanted to crawl out of my own skin. I did go to a meeting every day (sometimes two or three meetings) for the first four months. It was mostly really good for me to get dressed and out of the house and around people who were trying to better themselves. Sometimes it was too much and that was when I would leave meetings. Like on Mother's Day. I was not ready for the shares in that meeting!

I was told by one of the AA members (who also works at a rehab) that emotional regulation takes about three months. I found that to be pretty true for me.

Just don't pick up a drink before the big changes happen. It is so worth it to keep going. It just takes a lot longer than we want it to!