Old 05-29-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Auchieshuggle

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post

1-16-1992

sober and very active in aa the whole time

im the guy with emotional and mental disorders that the book talks about

ive done the 12 steps so i try to live by their principles

im very selfish and self- centered and thats the real problem!

for me to divorce myself from the program of aa is a choice to drink

I'm so glad to hear AA has worked for you. I think it's pretty good too. When I had a nine month spell of sobriety, five years ago, it was AA that was the catalyst. Why I ever stopped going to meetings, I don't know. However I am grateful for a second chance.

I was diagnosed with a particularly debilitating anxiety disorder around twelve years ago, so I know what mental illness is like. Stay strong! I wish you well, my friend.

PS - I love your signature, btw! It's so true. I'm ashamed to say that I'm eaten up with resentment and self-pity, and really I am not so badly off. The world's not always fair, and I need to accept life's ups and downs.

Originally Posted by Spartanman View Post
Hiya Auchieshuggle,

I'm almost 39 years old and on day six after frequent binging for the last two years. My binging was usually three times a week with a "never again" after each binge. I made it two, three weeks a few times within that period. Prior to the binging pattern I had been a pretty much daily drinker for a long time (~8 years of increasing amounts).

My recent blood work was okay with liver function in the normal range for all values ... I know that is not conclusive by itself but Doctor didn't think further investigation was warranted based on my interview with her so I am happy to stop worrying for now and just focus on building new sober habits. I don't expect I will be able to dodge too many more bullets!
Glad to read that your bloods are okay. Hang in there! I have a twenty-five year history of alcohol abuse, and I know how difficult it can be to resist temptation. I do find my 'need' for alcohol diminishes significantly after around ten days to two weeks, though I sometimes get these intense cravings where I romanticise alcohol and a little voice says "it wasn't always so bad...you had good times drinking too...you've managed to prove you have self-control...you can have a couple, stop at three, maybe, etc." I think it's when I get to that stage that I will really need the meetings. Right now I still feel slightly ill, and have that desire to stop.