View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by wibble;6909497

[B
I can honestly say, if I can do it then anyone can. I fought bitterly against stopping and spent many many years in denial before I finally accepted that I was an alcoholic and I had to stop.[/B]

I was very much like a cat going into the bath as I tried to stop over and over again, I made so many excuses about myself and reasons why I shouldn't / couldn't stop.

Its not been easy to get to this point and I'm well aware i'm still in the early stages of life long sobriety but I do take strength from knowing I have got to this point.

I can't really offer advice about how to stop as I firmly believe each of our experiences are completely unique. But the one thing I will say is that in the early stages you just have to get through each day anyway that you can, it doesn't matter how early you go to bed, how many people you offend, how many social events you decline, the important thing is just getting the time under your belt.

It makes me very frustrated when I see people post on here that they've got xx days sober and they are going to test themselves by going to a bar, seeing friends drinking etc etc.... you are setting yourself up to fail with those types of behaviours. Just focus on yourself, love yourself and get through each day. Nothing builds your strength more than time.

x
Congratulations! Getting into our third year is super, isn't it?

Just highlighted a few of your thoughts that are mine too.

Especially one that also worries me when people say it....choices. I took exceeding caution with myself and my choices of "people, places, and things" for a long time - by that I mean, first out of town trip was three days with my parents; first "real" out of town trip was at 9 months, to DC with my now husband, and including a reach-out with my estranged brother; my first party? 14 mo; wedding? 17 mo....and it wasn't fear of drinking, it was self-protection and gradually figuring out what I liked doing best. Testing myself still has zero place in my life in recovery. I still say NO to absolutely anything that might ruffle the feathers of my emotional sobriety.

Thanks for sharing- keep going!