View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

When I was a newcomer it before the internet and I knew little about AA. I was at the end of my rope when I walked into the rooms. I didn`t know who worked the steps correct and who didn`t. But I don’t recall anyone saying they weren`t important. One member would say this, and another say that and a third something else. I found it all rather confusing in the beginning. (I got sober in an overseas ex-pat community where members came from many parts of the States as well as from around the world. There were a lot of arguments but in retrospect I think it was good I heard a variety of views.)

Now…what I did notice early on were a few of the more vocal members weren`t particularly happy. I didn`t view the crusty old-timer as having a heart of gold. I saw someone with anger issues. I didn`t want what he had. In fact I didn’t even what to have coffee with the man.

It was those with sober time who seemed continent that I gravitated towards. They never preached. Only suggested. Here is where I found my sponsor. An older man who had rebounded from a fairly brutal bottom. He spent a lot of time discussing the program and the steps with me during my first year.

My advice would be to take your time choosing a sponsor.