View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Distorted Me
formerly luvSOBERlife

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post

He sounds like a very sick man. As you may know, alcoholism is progressive and will only get worse. One thing that folks did that helped me was to stop enabling me. They kicked me out, fired me, banned me from their homes, generally refused to tolerate my behaviour. I reached a point where there was nothing left and that was the point at which I woke up and got help.
This is probably exactly what it's going to take to wake him up, unfortunately. Only he can decide he needs to change and it doesn't sound like he's anywhere near there yet. Having already been a heroin addict, he should be an expert on addiction by now. When he wants to start being honest with himself he will have to decide whether putting down the bottle for 2 weeks, 2 months, whatever, is going to actually solve the problem. As was the case with me, nothing short of true sobriety will suffice.

Please understand that you are not going to be able to make him stop drinking. You are not going to be able to make him live the sober life that he needs to. Only he and he alone can do those things. Only he and he alone is truly responsible for his life. He needs to have a conversation with himself about his drinking but he will only do so when he is ready.