Old 05-27-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

He still hasn't started any treatments or counseling. He has admitted to a close friend, the longest hes gone without using was 5 days in the last 4 years.
First, I want to welcome you and say that I am sorry for your sad situation and to let you know that you are among friends who understand here. I am the mother of an adult addict and know the pain of watching someone we love self-destruct.

The statement above said it all, I think. No matter what you want for him, and your list makes sense to a rational sensible person, it won't matter one whit if he doesn't take the actions to change and to do it now. Words mean nothing, sorry to say that promises are worthless without immediate action to back them. Talk is what addicts do well. If only you do this...I will do that. " If you stay (and continue your painful disfunctional life), I will stop using and get well starting...next week...next month....next year?" Truth is a rare commodity and you can't count on promises that they can't keep...even to themselves.

It might be a good time to make a plan that does not include him or his financial input. It might be good to see a lawyer and find out your rights before you make any moves, to ensure your own safety and best interests are looked after. You don't have to do anything right now, but having a plan and knowing your options will help you feel less trapped.

Leaving can be painful but staying with an active addict is always worse...if not now, it will be soon.

My prayers go out for you and your family. Please reach out for help from family or friends who may be able to help, maybe get counseling and/or seek out some meetings in your area of Al-anon, Nar-anon, CoDA or church or family support meetings.

This won't be easy, you will need all the help you can get.

Good luck and again...welcome.