View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mp315

Trying to let go

I was with my AB for 2 years. He was sober for 5 years when we first met. He slowly stopped going to meetings and he became verbally and emotionally abusive. I put up with it because I'm co-dependent. He finally broke up with me when he decided to get sober. I guess he was sober for a few months but started dating and partying again with a new girlfriend. Something we never did. I cut contact with him for 6 months. He contacted me after breaking up with his new girlfriend. Eventually I got back together with him knowing I shouldn't. I was stupid and thought I could help him get sober. He really wants to get sober. He knows how much better his life is when he is sober and working the program. I was helping him turn his life around and things were getting a lot better for him but he could only be sober for about a month before he would start drinking again. We finally broke up 3 weeks ago so he could work on getting sober and I could work on my codependence. I wanted to end things with him but was always afraid of what would happen to him. Found out over the weekend that he has been drinking and out with other girls. He hasn't been working on getting sober. I was talking to him almost everyday he just lied to me. He got a DUI Monday night while out with another girl. He lost his license for a year and will probably lose his job. I told him not to contact me again. I'm trying hard to let go but struggling.