View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 01:03 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Gabe1980

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Dr Obvious told me this advice every waking hour of mine.

My brain often tells me I am no good and I 'should, have to and must'.
So today- I have set up a regime for achieving goals. If I was perfect- I would stop eating, exercise 8 hours a day, give up coffee, meditate in the middle of a building site without distraction, save 95% of my budget and volunteer (with the goal of getting paid work tomorrow) 14 hours a day. If I do not meet these targets- it is obvious then that I am a failure..so what's the point?? That is the dysfunctional- stupid child voice whispering at me.

So today- (0837), I have cleaned me unit, exercised for 30 minutes,.....
and the rest of the day will unfold.

Conclusion: should's voice is stressful. It is better to do a small amount of something, rather than aiming for perfection and doing nothing...absolute thinking does not work (except for not drinking/drugs) and achieving a little all of the time will help us feel a little better each time.
EXACTLY this!!! This was what I was dealing with yesterday. Now I'm not drinking I should, should, should....
Then it occured to me. When I drink I just sit on my bum and watch tv. Why do I have to turn into some sort of super human cause I've stopped? I refuse to set myself up for failure.
Thank you Phoenix. You are a legend 💗