View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 02:56 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Sunflowerlife

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
Been up since 5.30am clearing up after yesterday's party. Yet another advantage of sobriety...... you can get up early and get loads of stuff done whilst everyone else sleeps off hangovers. It was a great day. My darling boy is now baptised, the sun shone and no one got concussion on the bouncy castle.... perfect. It was so great to see my old school/uni friends that I haven't seen for ages and none of my family members got drunk and had arguments with each other so it was great..... except......there's one thing that's really bothering me........and I keep trying to do mindfulness and tell my brain to focus on all the positives but......

The godparents are our friends who moved up north last year. They still have meetings in London and always use our house as a base when they're here. So they were obviously at the church yesterday and then they came back to our house and were there for an hour or so and then disappeared. There were over 100 people there and if I'd been drinking I probably wouldn't have noticed they were missing. And I certainly wouldn't have minded if they went AWOL for an hour or so. But they turned up 5 hours later ..... drunk. They'd taken the opportunity to meet up with other friends at a cricket match. So they came back and then slept over here last night. They're in the kitchen now with my husband making breakfast. I'm feeling a bit annoyed. I mean, they're the godparents. .... guests of honour and they went missing for most of the party. I know I need to keep my cool and smile until they leave but I'm finding it a bit difficult. I feel like they just use our house as a bed and breakfast and I'm surprised and disappointed in them. But as I'm writing this I'm already starting to feel better. I know I often behaved appallingly when I was drinking and it's nice to be sober and know that no matter how much other people may drink and disappoint me, it's actually nothing to do with me. Right, I need to take a few deep breaths and help them with breakfast......why do I find it so hard to hide my true feelings??? I'm going to try to be the best possible version of myself until they leave..... then I'll go back to being me.

Congratulations to everyone celebrating a milestone today. 24 more for me please xxxxx
I can't hide my true feelings either- it's not a bad thing Kenton, it means you are an authentic being with a sensitivity to the world around you. I am sure you can be cordial with them until they leave.

Honestly I would be going through so many emotions right now- pissed, surprised, disappointed. It is really hard not to judge the situation especially since we all did crappy things as drunks. But you also have your core values and expectations and they kind of rocked both of those with their actions.

I hope you can find a way to deal with this situation the best way you can. Maybe give yourself some time to process it- I know it takes me several days and lots of conversation with a trusted person to come to some type of closure or conclusion when big things like this happen.

We are here for you as well, if you need to talk some more.