View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
djlook

Hello, Matt9880

I read one time that as a practicing alcoholic, we affect 72 different lives; wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, children, in-laws, friends, employers, judges, lawyers, hospitals, doctors, etc., that they stand back and helplessly watch us destroy ourselves. Even though we deceive ourselves and think they don't know, they know. If you have this disease, it'll progressively get worse. As my alcoholism progressed, it took me places I thought I'd never go. I did things I didn't think I was capable of doing. So I really identify with the hiding cans, counting cans, putting trash on top, and the energy I expended trying to cover it up. Alcoholism thrives in secrecy. I got sober through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, and by the grace of God, I don't have to live that way anymore. My youngest son still kind of watches me. He's the one who really suffered the most at the end of my drinking. He sometimes refers to me as the "new mom." My family is very proud of me, and I'm proud of myself. My sons will laugh at how many times I caught the stove on fire. They'll lovingly tell everyone to stand back, mom is in the kitchen. Thank you for sharing what you shared.