View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Today with lots and lots of years of sobriety under my belt, I know they were lies, and you know they were lies, but..........back then I would have sworn on a stack of bibles or on my mother's life that what I said was the the truth, because in my distorted mind from all the alcohol and drugs IT WAS THE TRUTH.

I know that is not an excuse, that is just a little incite into what the booze and drugs did to this alkie. I was so out of it, and in so much denial, I truly, I mean truly believed that I was an honest person and did not lie about anything, and that toward the end people were ganging up on me and picking on me (immense paranoia).

I have come to find out over these many years being in both AA and Alanon that this is one of the characteristics (the TERRIBLE characteristics) of this HORRIBLE disease. I truly believe that an acoholic/addict in the throes of their addiction can no longer distinguish fact from fiction.

Just my humble opinion. It is tragic. It is terrible. And it does kill. It killed the love of my life. I managed to get sober and he never did. Some unfortunately never make it.

All we can do, is work on ourselves, be it in alanon, AA, some other program or all of the above and pray that somewhere down the line, our example will be something that our loved ones and others can follow.

JMHO

Love and (((((to all))))),