View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
She doesn't want to trigger me but she has had a problem and has a hard time accepting that. I've learned that's her sobriety and it's separate from mine. I can be support her, but have made it clear I have to be sober or I will die.

I'm feeling pressure to go so I will. As the big book says trying to alter or avoid the drinking lifestyle is doomed to fail. I think I should confront the experience and being a 1 car family (mine was repossessed) i have a plan to leave if it gets crazy.
Yes I know that quote. Any attempt to shield the alcoholic from temptation is doomed to failure. But there is a certain amount of context to be taken into account. There is another one, something like “ do not hesitate to go into the most sordid place on earth if you Han be helpful...keep on the firing line of life with these motives and God will keep you unharmed.

These sort of passages are a fair way into the book and the steps. They assume the alcoholic has worked the steps and had the resulting spiritual experience which in turn delivers an effective 24/7 defence against the fatal first drink.

There are also passages like “ if you are feeling shaky, best go work with another alcoholic instead”. In your initial post you sounded shaky to me. 4 month rehab, two months out, and my guess would be not much action on the steps. There are some things you need to be doing. Putting yourself at unnecessary risk isn’t one of them.