Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Cerberus
Eyes Open, No Fear

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
There are many people who are threatened by the mere suggestion that people can quit on their own, and who would dearly love to keep this information hidden from the still suffering alcoholic/addict. Some will routinely misinform people about the nature of AVRT, often saying that it is based on willpower, that it is about moderation, or that it only works for problem drinkers, and not for alcoholics.
Ok, I do get this - people feeling threatened by something other than what has been traditionally been used to solve a problem - I understand RR severing links to these programs as well, considering. I suppose that all of the steps in the logo on the main page of this forum should really have clued me in, but then is this entire website, with the exception of this forum, only or mainly AA/12 step based? I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to figure this site out as I've said. On first inspection this site seems to advocate individualism and personal experience, which is why I decided to join but I do notice a definite...slant, perhaps? in the advice in the main forums. You know what I mean, no need to get into that any further.

Until finding this thread I really was considering that I am likely not in the right place here - I am tired of hearing the same attacks over and over in the main forums and of defending my own point of view and even being relegated to this thread is annoying. Can't we all just get along (to simplify!)

So I have edited this post to death in an effort to not repeat and rehash. Maybe this is just my own rant to get off my chest but I think we all have the same goal - to stop drinking - and whatever works. Works. IMHO.