Old 08-24-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
is this thread truly causing that much of an issue in the rest of the forums?
Rational Recovery severed all links to the addiction treatment industry and the recovery group movement in 1994, shutting down even its own meetings, opting instead to focus on providing concise instruction on self-recovery. AVRT, since it entails administering your own cure, turns the entire modern treatment paradigm on its head.

There are many people who are threatened by the mere suggestion that people can quit on their own, and who would dearly love to keep this information hidden from the still suffering alcoholic/addict. Some will routinely misinform people about the nature of AVRT, often saying that it is based on willpower, that it is about moderation, or that it only works for problem drinkers, and not for alcoholics.

To be fair, though, there are also quite a few RR fans who have had bad experiences with traditional treatment, and who also love to stir the pot. Such people have apparently caused some disruption on here in the past, but I think that if discussion stays mostly confined here, it should hopefully keep that to a minimum.

Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I have just started reading Rational Recovery and I am stunned to realize that this is basically what I have been doing over the past few months... for a brief time I thought there may be something wrong with ME. Apparently not so much.
This is a common feeling, and no, there is nothing wrong with you. :-)