Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
FT

I have a question that maybe isn't in the realm of AVRT to answer. I've read the crash course, so maybe it's not there but is addressed in the book.

I think I've got the ME part, the Beast part, and the Addictive Voice part sorted out, which all deal with psyche. But where does one put the physical part?

This is my 3rd "abstinence" (I was going to say "recovery", but thought better of it). My first was from alcohol over 20 years ago. My 2nd was from a mix of drugs surrounding a poor coping response to severe loss. This one, my 3rd, is from opiates I began using surrounding bilateral torn menisci (knee cartilage) followed by bilateral total knee replacements, from a 2 year oxycodone gig.

Let me get to my question. The alcohol was far easier for me to shed than the following two substances. Especially the last one, and I quit oxycodone last December. Both the physical and psychological effects seemed far more severe to me than what followed my alcohol use. With alcohol, for me anyway, it was ALL psychological as I hadn't totally pickled my body with it, even though I drank for over 15 years. With the drugs and opiates, the physical withdrawals almost stopped me from abstaining even before I could tackle the psychological part. The physical withdrawals are something I now try to help others deal with on the substance abuse forum, but I use a "form" of the Addictive Voice concept when talking to others about how to take a stand against their substance abuse. Does AVRT deal at all with how to deal with the physical part of abstinence? I see AVRT as the preferred method to STAY quit, but it's the early days that are the downfall of many. I mean the physical part. A lot of why it took me so long to quit was I was using not to get high, but to not feel sick, which was all I seemed to feel any more.

Last question. In the RR crash course, it says "In Rational Recovery, we suggest that you make a Big Plan:a decision to totally abstain from alcohol and drugs, forever."

In my break from opiates, I made a decision early on that my new identity was that of "A Non-Opiate User". Period. Just like, years ago, I made a decision that "I Am A Non-Drinker". Any thoughts of using or drinking are easily dealt with by asking myself, "What would a non-user/non-drinker do?" I hold those concepts dear to my heart and they are what make me part of who I am today. I just don't know if that constitutes a "Big Plan". I suppose I could take it one step further and make a contract with myself, but I feel strong in my stance. Any thoughts?

FT