Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Kingman063 View Post
I went to the RR website earlier and did the crash course in AVRT...WOW what an eye opener, I mean the info was very basic and consisted of things you would think every person with a drug or alcohol problem would not have to be taught to think of.
AVRT is essentially "old school" recovery, hearkening back to the bad old days prior to the development of recovery groups or addiction treatment. People have been figuring it out on their own since they first became addicted, but apparently, nobody thought to write it down. Jack Trimpey figured out a rudimentary form of AVRT out of necessity, using it on his own addiction, but that alone did not give him the full picture.

His advantage was in having worked within the social service system with addicted people for a couple of decades, and later with Rational Recovery, which allowed him to refine AVRT above and beyond his own initial understanding. He credits his wife, Lois, with being the inspiration for RR, and she has been involved with RR since the beginning. Like many developments, I suppose things were just ripe for it, and the appropriate people came along to see it through.