Old 12-23-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by lostbutterfly
I do wonder if the so-called "addictive personality" is just referring to people whose mid-brains are running amok and calling all the shots.
I think so...the lack of awareness I had before is why I had a reversal of intent many years ago (after 10 years of not drinking). I just thought all the thoughts/behaviors etc were ME. It was when I started to say, "this just isn't me...this isn't who I am, this isn't who I was meant to be", then I began to seperate myself from this other drive. I did this before learning about AVRT, but it helps to learn/read more about it even though I have been a non-drinker for some time now because I know that I had a reversal before, so the more I learn and the better I know myself and my beast the stronger I am. I am no longer scared...I know who is who, their roles, and who is in charge. "Otherizing" has helped me immensely...

The whole not battling part is huge for me. It creates such a calm to acknowledge this part of me, not fear it. After all, that primal part of the brain is necessary...it's job is to create fear in the face of danger and react quickly to save us. But it's a double-edged sword because the fear and the following actions are not always warranted, logical, or necessary and taking those actions can create very very bad stuff for us. What the primal brain views as a good idea sometimes is and sometimes isn't (run when you see a bear coming toward you=good idea, drink when you are stressed=bad idea). My beast brain was in charge all the time, it was not just related to drinking/drugs...it was also my constant knee jerk reactions, defensiveness, rage, and so forth in response to every day stimuli. I had not learned to descern when the fear and anger was necessary to drive my actions toward a positive outcome, and when it was irrational and would create more problems than I already had. Everything was imminent danger to me and I behaved accordingly. In an effort to balance this, I underreacted for a period of time as well, which can create it's own set of probems.

So all that said, I respect my minbrain and it's job. Trying to rid myself of it completely would be impossibe and absurd...it's just not smart enough to be in charge.

oh and I don't drink. Ever.