Old 12-17-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
freethinking
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Augie View Post
I'll take issue with this, speaking only for myself. Can't entirely tell you why I've had no craving whatsoever to drink or drug since cleaning up 8 months ago, but the fact is I haven't. Most of what I've changed isn't specific to addiction. It's been more general changes in how I relate to myself, others, the world; I'm guessing the answer lies somewhere in there.

Again, this is just my experience. Not at all comfortable making any universal claims about addiction and recovery.
This was me. And every time I would relapse after months of sobriety I would say "I have no idea what happened. I was having no urges at all and then bam - had a fleeting thought one day, went into autopilot and got drunk".

Someone suggested I tempt myself - at first thought I deemed this a stupid and dangerous idea. But after thinking it over, it made sense. By doing so, I was able to bring out some desire, observe it and then deal with it. Prior to being able to do this and claiming I had no desire...I look back now and feel I was on very dangerous ground.