Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
Personally, I think it IS the addictive voice itself that is proclaiming the lack of desire to drink.
Bingo. "I have no desire to drink" is pure Addictive Voice.

Originally Posted by DrivenHeart85 View Post
Ahhhhh, I get it now. Saying it's good for your desire not being around or bad if it is around, is essentially assigning the Beast power. The Beast has no power, so its trick will be the AV telling you it does have power...through negative emotions related to its presence and through positive emotions related to its absence.
Precisely.

You: "Wow, I haven't had a desire to drink in so long."

AV: "You are doing good, but you had better hope you continue to have no desire to drink, because if you did have a desire, you might actually drink. You're safe for now, though, and it's wonderful to be free of the desire to drink."

[Some time later, perhaps weeks, perhaps, months, or perhaps years]

You: "Dang, that desire to drink is back."

AV: "You've been cruising along all this time, but you haven't really been tested like this before. Remember, you're just an alcoholic, powerless over the desire to drink, and it's useless for you to struggle against the desire, so screw it, just give in and drink. It can't be any different."