Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by IAmAbstinent View Post
I was saying that my cravings have subsided now after playing my instrument and going for a run today so I just gotta rewire my brain to these more healthy pursuits.
That's good that you are finding better things to do than get high, IamA, but what if you don't manage to "rewire" your brain? What if the Beast never dies, and it keeps telling you to get high forever, even years from now? What then?

What I'm getting at is, don't make abstinence contingent on the absence of Beast activity. It doesn't matter what the hell the Beast wants, because it only wants one thing anyway. All you need to do is recognize it, and remember that "you" no longer get high, or even want to get high. The Beast will always back down and slither along back into its cave when you do this.

You made a Big Plan, remember? If you wanted to keep getting high, you wouldn't have made a Big Plan! Also, it seems like you might be approaching this from an "I choose not to drink/use today" mentality, which is not how AVRT works. When you made your BP, you decided never to choose again. Your Big Plan removed the option of choosing, and you don't get to choose anymore.

Do you understand this? Think about it. "I will never use again, and I will never change my mind" means no more choosing. If you can internalize this, that you no longer have a choice, it will help significantly with avoiding any unnecessary back and forth discussions with your Beast. With a Big Plan in place, there is nothing to discuss.