Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Terminally Unique
You have the machinery of AVRT at your disposal, and the view through the lens of AVRT is very different indeed. The addictive voice is a universal phenomenon, and all addicted people have one, but they don't often recognize it as such. What often takes people years or decades to figure out, we can learn in weeks or months, but only because most of the work has already been done for us, and we don't have to waste time reinventing the wheel.
I definitely think this is true because having successfully quit for 10 years on my own, I did some separating stuff, not battling, etc and really never thought I would drink again. No big plan per se because I didn't know what that was, but I was a non-drinker. After all that time, I did give in to the AV and drink again, quickly becoming readdicted...for 7 years. I know now that I did not fully grasp the nuances of the AV. Ahhh hindsight lol
That time I had to be medically detoxed (ok and protected from myself) and even though I went to treatment, I quit the same way as before. I had that same mental shift, the switch being flipped and it was done. I learned about RR a year or maybe two after I had quit and even then just sort of said "yea, I get what that's about" but I am glad I have learned more about AVRT here for the fine tuning. It's helpful and important for someone like me who has had a "reversal of intent".
and , TU, eventually I'll actually read the whole book