Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Thrifty

Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
I'm probably not the best person to answer this but while I think it is a good idea to actively pursue new things once you quit, saying you need to find something else is by definition the addictive voice since it suggests if you don't find something else to do, you will drink or use.

I agree with you about having to read the book more than once. Some people get it from the crash course whereas that was nowhere near enough for me.

While we're on the subject, how old is this notion of separating yourself from the survival part of your brain?
Good point! I didn't notice that thinking you must have to have something to do or you'll go back to your addiction is the addictive voice, although I think it's probably a good idea. Having something else to do is a totally separate issue.

This way of thinking is an old Buhdist concept. However, I have been noticing more books on the brain and neuroplastisity lately. Just look up the topic on Amazon. It's an interesting topic and definitely has roots in the primitive brain vs. The neocortex.