Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
...thanks for starting these threads and you will probably see a lot more of me hanging out around here throwing a Buddhist/Taoist slant on the whole thing.
Mike,

I'm glad you decided to join us, since you bring a perspective that has been missing here thus far. In reading your posts from the Friends & Family forum, it is apparent that you have lived through the craziness and uncertainty of tentative abstinence interrupted by relapses, so I suspect you will appreciate the 'no relapse' approach of AVRT. This many not be strictly necessary for you, but I do highly recommend that you get a copy of the Rational Recovery book, which is far more comprehensive than the free crash course.

There is a section in the book for friends and family, which may be useful in your interactions on the F&F forum. I suspect that several people on the F&F side would appreciate AVRT-style recovery, and the hope for closure it brings, as some have commented to me in private that they appreciate my perspective. Unfortunately, I don't quite have the rapport with those on the receiving end of our craziness that would come naturally to you, so it may be helpful for the folks over on the F&F forum to have someone like you around with some knowledge of AVRT.

That said, welcome. I look forward to your input.